Legion shirts at bookstore

Taking a cue from the famed Shirt, the Leprechaun Legion shirts declaring "No shirt No shoes No tie No problem" are on sale at the bookstore for the first time, with profits from the $15 purchase going to charity.

According to Leprechaun Legion president and Knott senior Brian Tracy, the T-shirt used to promote Notre Dame basketball was not always student designed or sold to the general public.

"Sports promotions always made a student T-shirt," Tracy said.

After the Leprechaun Legion was founded in 2001, however, this practice changed.

"My freshman year and sophomore year [Sports promotions] made their shirt, and we made ours," Tracy said. "Starting two years ago they just took our shirts which is good because students can get them for free."

The Leprechaun Legion has already become a popular organization on campus, and is on probationary club status right now, with expectations to achieve official club status next year.

As with football's 'Sea of Green', the Leprechaun Legion shirt serves as a symbol of unity for fans and support for the team, Tracy said.

Student opinion on the shirt is mixed. Pasquerilla East freshman Tamara Buretz said the shirt is acceptable.

"I like it. It's kind of plain but it's nice," she said. "I don't get [the back of the shirt], and I think it's dumb."

On the other hand, Steve Przywara, a Keough freshman, said he really liked the shirt.

"The textile manufacturer who created this fabric, I believe there is no word to describe this genius," Przwara said.

In years past, the Leprechaun Legion used to make money off its own shirt sales, while students who bought tickets received the shirt designed by Sports promotions. As a result the Legion has enough money in the treasury to support itself until it receives Notre Dame funding as an official club.

With this in mind, Tracy and other Legion members decided this year that all profits from the sales of the Leprechaun Legion shirts would go to charity.

"All proceeds go to Coaches Versus Cancer," Tracy said. "That's [Irish coach Mike Brey's] darling." He added that Brey has always been a supporter of the Legion.

The Legion does not have a goal in mind for profits, but Tracy is optimistic about the sales.

"Every purchase helps cancer research and supports the team," Tracy said. "No matter how many we sell it is a success."