Shakespeare on the silver screen

This weekend brings a collection of both well-known and rare film adaptations of Shakespeare to the Browning Cinema in the Debartolo Center for the Performing arts. Here are the films you can expect to see:FRIDAY, NOV. 56:30 p.m."Titus" (1999) Anthony Hopkins plays Roman general Titus Andronicus in this classic adaptation of Shakespeare's earliest play. Set in ancient Rome, with a few modern day twists, Titus tells the story of a victorious general who is caught up in the marriage politics of the time.10 p.m."Forbidden Planet" (1956) One of the most influential science fiction films ever made, Fred Wilcox puts a futuristic spin on "The Tempest" in his box office smash that features a young Leslie Nielsen. SATURDAY, NOV. 63 p.m."Ran" (1985) Legendary Japanese filmmaker and writer Akira Kurosawa presents his vision of "King Lear." The story of politics, familial violence and betrayal fits perfectly into the equally tumultuous 16th Century Japanese setting.6:30 p.m."William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet" (1996) One of the finest adaptations ever made, visionary director Baz Luhrmann ("Moulin Rouge!") translates the emotions and social conditions of the play into 20th century Southern California. The film, which features Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio as the star-crossed lovers, replaces swords and horses with handguns and convertibles in this stylistic retelling of the well-known love story.10 p.m."Hamlet" (2000) Another modernization of a Shakespeare classic, this version takes place in New York City and stars Ethan Hawke ("Gattaca") as Hamlet. Like Luhrmann's "Romeo + Juliet," the original language from the play is used. This technique adds a depth to the story by emphasizing its timeless themes.All performances are $3 for students and can be purchased at the Debartolo Center for the Performing Arts box office.