T-shirt apology choice discussed by members

After much deliberation about issuing a second apology for Saint Mary's Pride Week T-shirt, the Board of Governance decided Monday that a statement would be released to the student body. BOG said a second apology was not appropriate because the entire student body did not request a second more specific apology, and some students e-mailed the Student Activities Board stating they would be offended by what they deemed an unnecessary apology. The Board instead will issue a statement about its intentions. SAB coordinator Lauren Fabina said student government did not wish to ignore students who were not offended by the shirt. "We are in constant review of our activities to provide the best programs possible. We will keep in mind the opinions of all students and what offended them in the planning of future events," Fabina said. At the last BOG meeting, the Board considered issuing an apology if SAB opted not to. Student body president Sarah Catherine White and student body vice president Mary Pauline Moran said they considered possible options and discussed them with administrators. "We gave a lot of thought to how campus felt about these issues as a whole," White said. Together they decided it would be best not to issue the apology, and agreed SAB had valid reasons not to do so. They said it was best to continue the discussion process and keep holding identity forums to further unite all campus ideas. "Actions speak louder than words, and keeping the identity forums are the best way to handle this situation," public relations commissioner Ashley Thornburg said. Board members said they hope students will continue peaceful discussion about the issues brought up by the Pride Week T-shirt. In other BOG news:u Sunday from 11:45 a.m. to 3:15 pm will be the last Service Sunday at the Christ Child Society. Students are encouraged to come and should contact Mary Beth Swyart for more information. u Sophomore class president Claudia Toth said all students are welcome to attend the abroad student send off tonight from 7:30 to 9 p.m. in the Stapleton Lounge. The sophomore class will also host the "Big Sister-Little Sister" kickoff event from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the west wing of the dining hall, which will include a gingerbread house contest.u The second in a series of identity forums will be held Dec. 7 at 4 p.m. in the Regina North Lounge.