U.S. National Team defeats Irish handily

Youth was served at the Joyce Center Friday night, as the U.S. National Team Developmental Program's Under-18 team defeated the Irish 7-2 in an exhibition game.

Special teams accounted for five of the Under-18 team's seven goals, with three goals coming on the power play and two goals scored while Team USA was shorthanded.

"It was a tough night all-around for us," Irish coach Dave Poulin told und.com.

Team USA outshot the Irish 29-27 on the night, but Poulin felt the stat was misleading in terms of saying who dominated.

"We let our goaltenders out there all alone tonight," he said. "The shots were very misleading. They had quality chances all night long."

The Irish led early in the game, and Team USA came back to tie the contest at one goal apiece after the first period. Team USA then exploded in the second period, scoring three unanswered goals - including two shorthanded tallies - to take a 4-2 lead after the Irish scored a goal late on the power play.

Three more goals for Team USA in the third period put the game away completely.

The Under-18 team continued its impressive performance so far in the 2004-05 season. Team USA improved its record to an impressive 4-2-2 record against Division I collegiate teams.

Notre Dame forward Josh Sciba opened the scoring at 14 minutes, 24 seconds of the opening period to give the Irish a 1-0 lead. Sciba collected a pass from Wes O'Neill, and then whipped around behind the net to score on a wraparound goal before Team USA goalie Jeff Frazee could get back in position.

The Irish lead was short-lasted, as just 22 seconds later Ryan Stoa beat Irish goalie David Brown for a goal.

Stoa would score again just 1:15 into the second period, and Phil Kessel followed at 8:02 - both goals were shorthanded.

"The two short-handed goals were the game," Poulin said. "We couldn't bounce back from that."

Jack Skille scored for Team USA at 10:11 of the period, but Notre Dame's Tim Wallace came back to score for the Irish at 12:18 of the second.

Kessel, Jason Lawrence and Jack Johnson scored goals for Team USA in the third period to put the game out of reach.

Notre Dame returns to action this weekend when it travels to Alaska Fairbanks for a two-game series with its conference rival.