Boat Club busted again

Police raided The Boat Club early Thursday morning, issuing 52 citations to 32 underage patrons, said Sgt. Michelle Traughber of the Indiana State Excise Police.The majority of underage patrons were 19- and 20-year-old Notre Dame students, Traughber said. They were identified using campus phone books police brought to the scene, she said. Excise police, South Bend Police and Indiana State Police collaborated in the bust, Traughber said. She added that no arrests were made in the raid, which began at 1:45 a.m.The bust, which came two months after the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission voted not to renew the bar's liquor license, was prompted by a long-term complaint about minors in the bar, Traughber said.Three or four other local bars were also police targets for underage drinking Wednesday night, Traughber said. Traughber declined to identify the bars by name because she said doing so could jeopardize future investigations there.Citations issued at The Boat Club included minor in a tavern, minor in possession, minor in consumption and false identification, with some patrons ticketed for a combination of offenses, Traughber said. Thursday marked the second raid for The Boat Club, which was also targeted Jan. 24, 2003. Indiana State Excise Police cited 213 minors, most of whom were Notre Dame and Saint Mary's students, in that raid.