Network out twice in four days

Much to the chagrin of students relying on the internet or computer clusters for their last-minute assignment needs, the campus network experienced unscheduled and widespread outages for more than two hours Monday - the second time in four class days.The Office of Information Technology reported the first outage at 1:50 p.m., and the problems continued intermittently until network engineers found a definite solution by 4:15 p.m., according to an OIT log. "The outages appear to be caused by one or more machines on the network that are either misconfigured or compromised, essentially causing a denial of service [DoS] attack," said a news release on the OIT Web site. OIT officials could not be reached for comment. The outages affected 22 locations on campus that utilize the network - most notably for students, the connections in LaFortune, DeBartolo, Coleman-Morse and the ResNets of South, Mod and God Quad. The OIT Web site reported that Network Engineers would be "standing by to quickly handle any similar problems," should the outages strike again today. This outage is unrelated to the service interruption that occurred Thursday after Notre Dame's Internet Service Provider mistakenly cut a cable that supplied the University's network.