Terminator 3: Redemption

Mark: Terminator 3: Redemption is everything the name implies - redemption of the series. Not since the original PC series has there been a decent Terminator game - until now.The events in the game focus on the events occurring in the third Terminator movie, which may be seen as a negative by some gamers. However, the game branches from the movie plot by emphasizing parts that are not seen in the film. Most of the game takes place in the future as the T-800, Arnold's onscreen persona, battles Skynet directly. Game play is divided into three categories - on foot, driving or shooting. Each of these segments is done quite well. When Arnold is on foot, he has a list of about 20 melee combos that he performs on the enemy robots. Each of the combos is actually useful, as he can use them to gain an additional weapon or recharge his energy. As the game progresses the character runs into a vehicle. With a press of a button, that vehicle is commandeered and under player control, regardless of whether the acquiring of the vehicle was friendly or not. The driving segments are all about one thing - speed. Explosions happen fast enough during the driving segments to satisfy even the most bloodthirsty gamer. In one of many driving segment scenarios, the character is chasing a SWAT van trying to rescue Kate Brewster from the T-X. In another segment, the T-X is clinging to the hearse and must be knocked off. Another thing of note is the T-800 himself. Although Arnold does not supply the voice, it is well done by a competent impersonator who provides enough Arnold-isms to keep one entertained. The damage that the T-800 receives is portrayed well. The damage the T-800 endures is a constant feature in all of the Terminator movies and it is believably depicted throughout Terminator 3: Redemption.The one real complaint with the game, but a large one, is that the game is very strict with how one may progress through the level. Unless it is done exactly as the designers intended, one can expect to see "Mission Failed" too often, even on the easiest setting.Overall Terminator 3: Redemption is generally decent way to avoid doing homework.

Trevor: Bland is the word - bland graphics, bland missions, bland everything. If mindless destruction and uninspiring game-play is what you desire, you should still pick another game. Even if the $39.99 price tag seems enticing, buyer beware. After the first mission of walk and shoot, the game progresses into a driving mission. Usually, these fast-paced action sequences are the spotlights of shoot 'em up games. In Terminator 3, however, it is simply a switch to another style of underdeveloped gaming. Missions seem to be monotonous and simpleminded, while waves of Terminators with nonexistent artificial intelligence throw themselves at your feet.The co-op feature is excruciatingly bland. This mode of play transports you and your roommate into the bodies of two human soldiers, flying high above the action of the game in a helicopter. Each player has his or her own colored targeting receptacle that can be moved across the screen as the camera flies the same fixed route over the battlefield until each and every enemy Terminator is destroyed. Yawn.Even if you are a diehard fan of the Terminator movies, rent before buying.