Banda Rika and Matt Wertz hit Legends

Looking for a hint of warmth during these cold South Bend days? Legends is providing entertainment with a Latin flare tonight with Banda Rika. Named Chicago's best Salsa/Meringue band in 2002, the first band from the suburbs to gain that distinction, Banda Rika comes to Legends with a great reputation. With a show featuring salsa, meringue, cumbia and bachata, Banda Rika promises entertainment and excitement. The 12 members of Banda Rika are split into a 10-piece "Orquesta" and a two-person front line. Brass, bongos, bass, piano and other instruments back up vocalists Ramon Riviera and Luis Berrios. Formed in 1999, Banda Rika began by opening for a show called "Grupo Kaos." As anyone who has listened to good Latin music can guess, the musicians leave no room for boredom anywhere they perform. The music and dancing are sure to provide enough energy and warmth for the entire room. There isn't much in the world of music that can equal a great Latin band - show up tonight to hear one of the best for miles around.The show starts at 10 p.m. on the club side of Legends. Matt Wertz did not begin his life with aspirations of becoming a songwriter and performer. In fact, earlier in his life his aspiration was actually to become a shoe designer. Fortunately for Matt and the crowd that will be at Legends Saturday, Matt left those dreams behind after he began writing songs during his freshman year of college. The acoustic guitar player claims on his Web site that originally, "When I began writing songs, I never intended for anyone to hear them . . . It was simply the natural outpouring of my heart." Fans of Wertz across the country are grateful his songs, comparable to the likes of John Mayer and Jack Johnson, have come out and met the receptive fan base Wertz has started to create for himself through national touring in the last year and a half. Wertz's show is sure to be light and entertaining. Matt Wertz will be preceded by Notre Dame senior Kevin Leicht who is also a solo artist. Leicht will begin playing at 10 p.m. at the club side of Legends. If an enjoyable and laid back show is what your Saturday night needs, then Legends will most probably be the place for you.