Bouvron, Irish come up short at Michigan

There were ups and downs this weekend in Ann Arbor, and in the end Michigan prevailed yet again.

The No. 25 Irish won seven events Friday at the University of Michigan, but it was not enough, and the No. 17 Wolverines won the meet 161-138.

Leading the way for the Irish was fifth-year senior and All-American diver Meghan Perry-Eaton. The Big East Championship's Most Outstanding Diver in both 2003 and 2004 won both springboard diving events, breaking her own record on the 1-meter board by almost six points. Her score of 328.43 on the 1-meter board was almost 15 points better than runner-up Alexis Goolik.

Also highlighting the trip for the Irish were sophomore Katie Carroll and junior Olympian Christel Bouvron.

Carroll won the 200-yard individual medley, posting an NCAA "B" cut time of 2 minutes, 3.75 seconds.

"When I dove in my goggles fell a little, so I think the only thing on my mind was to finish the race as soon as possible so I could see again," Carroll said.

Carroll is the defending Big East Champion in the event, and was an honorable All-American selection, but has been sidelined for most of the year by injuries.

"I haven't had many meets this year so I kind of wanted to make a statement not only to my coaches but also to the Big East ... tell them 'we're ready,'" Carroll said.

Bouvron won both the 100 and 200-yard butterfly events.

Her time in the 200 of 2:01.95 was nearly five seconds faster than the rest of the field, and she missed the NCAA "B" cut by a slim three-tenths of a second.

It was the fastest time in the Big East.