Group plans tsunami relief programs at SMC

On Tuesday evening, Saint Mary's Board of Governance met for the first time this semester to discuss College President Carol Mooney's inauguration and tsunami relief efforts.Student body president Sarah Catherine White praised the success of the inauguration."Everyone was impressed with Saint Mary's College," she said. White also said tsunami relief efforts would be one of BOG's major projects and it would be its responsibility to unite the campus toward a significant donation. BOG members will meet Wednesday to discuss ways to get the student body involved and motivated about relief efforts.Saint Mary's did not participate in the tri-campus tsunami collection held this past weekend. White explained that with the Inauguration events, Saint Mary's would not have had enough time to make a sizable donation. Instead, motivation and unification of the campus would lead the student body to give generously and collectively to tsunami relief aids, she said. "We wanted to wait and do our own big thing," she said.BOG also approved a $1,000 grant for 15 students from the Communications, Theatre and Dance department to travel to New York during Spring Break for an educational trip. After the trip, the students will be required to give a presentation, which will be open to the general campus, describing their experiences and how their trip will benefit or has benefited Saint Mary's.

In other BOG news:u Senior class president Jacqueline Cuisinier reported on many upcoming events for Saint Mary's seniors. A bowling night will be held Feb. 6, and Senior Spirit Week is set for Feb. 20-26. u BOG members encouraged students to nominate their female professors, faculty or staff members to be recognized at the Women Honoring Women Ceremony on March 23. Nominations are due by Feb. 24.u The All School Formal will take place Feb. 5, and tickets are on sale this week.