Saint Mary's closes Haggar Center snack bar

The Haggar Snack Bar, a popular destination for hungry Saint Mary's students and staff, closed during winter break in anticipation of a cyber café set to open at the new student center in March. The closure temporarily reduced the number of eateries on campus from four to three - the Noble Family Dining Hall, Dalloway's Clubhouse and the Café a la Carte in Madeleva Hall. Dining Hall Manager Berry Bowles said he and other food service workers have made adjustments to accommodate students' appetites and schedules. "Dalloway's has expanded it hours to cover all the hours Haggar would have covered," said Bowles. The news operating hours at Dalloway's are Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. to midnight and Saturday and Sunday from noon to midnight. Bowles also preserved the most popular item at the Haggar Snack Bar, the double-cheese burger. Students can now request the burger in the grill section of the dining hall. While Dalloway's is located much farther from any of the residence halls than Haggar, Bowles said he has received no complaints. "It is a little bit farther of a walk for students and that was my biggest concern," said Bowles. "The students have just been very cooperative and very supportive."Business at Dalloway's, both from students and staff has increased, said Bowles. "Traffic has been increasing steadily to the point where it is almost as good as what was at Haggar," said Bowles. "The bigger concern for me is the students. [The wait time at Dalloway's] should be getting shorter because the students over there are getting trained."Some of the cooking appliances in Haggar will be moved and used in the new cyber café, said Bowles, but most of it will be sold and replaced with new ones. No decision has been made on future use of the space the snack bar previously occupied. Employees who had formerly worked in Haggar were re-assigned to other positions on campus, said Bowles. Some moved to Dalloway's while others now work in the dining hall of in catering services. "The opportunity was given to students as well that if they wanted they could pick up hours at the dining hall," said Bowles.