Kozlow to serve as CEA

Taking the first step in creating their administration's team for next year, student body president-elect Dave Baron and vice president-elect Lizzi Shappell have nominated Liz Kozlow to serve as their chief executive assistant.

Baron, who is the current CEA for student body president Adam Istvan and vice president Karla Bell, said he chose Kozlow for her work ethic and commitment to his campaign, for which she served as campaign manager.

"Liz's attention to detail, her effort put forth until the job is accomplished, her positive attitude and good-hearted nature made her perfect for the role," Baron said.

Though Baron was certain he wanted her for the position, Kozlow said she was not expecting the nomination.

"I wasn't expecting to be offered this position," she said. "I thought I would be in [Washington] D.C. next spring, but when they came to me and proposed CEA, I knew I wanted to stay."

Kozlow will begin her term April 1, at which time Baron and Shappell will assume the student body presidency and vice presidency. Kozlow, a sophomore living in Pasquerilla West, brings extensive student government experience to the post, as well as a close relationship with the soon-to-be president and vice president.

"We worked with Liz all year on Senate and she was one of our campaign managers," Baron said, calling her "a leader and a friend."

Following the approval of her nomination by the Council of Representatives, Kozlow will assume the role of communicator, advisor, organizer and coordinator for Baron's administration. Kozlow said she is confident in her abilities to meet these extensive expectations, but she noted that Baron's shoes would be hard to fill.

"If anything intimidates me about filling the position of CEA, it's following Dave and trying to achieve the same high standard he has set for the position," Kozlow said.

Having served as Istvan's CEA this year, Baron admitted the job is demanding.

In past years the CEA has been responsible for all press releases and publicity for the administration. This year, however, Baron and Shappell have created a new position whose chief role will be that of a communicator. This decision reflects Baron and Shappell's slogan calling for "One Student Voice, Eight Thousand Strong." Baron said he hopes the new position of director of communications will help to bridge the gap between the student body and their government leaders.

Baron said he believes Kozlow's unwavering determination to complete goals will allow her to redefine the role of CEA and guide it in a new direction.

"I have a preconception of what the role of CEA is, but Liz will change the position by her personality and her dedication to put forth the necessary amount of effort until the job is accomplished," Baron said.

Echoing the platform of Baron and Shappell, Kozlow said creating unity will be a common theme in all her work as CEA.

"We want to unite the students and make a significant impact in improving student life," Kozlow said. "When I think we've done that, I will be pleased."