ND WOMEN'S TENNIS: Team loses one set and shuts out Boston College

The No. 21 Irish lost just one set against Boston College en route to a 7-0 shellacking of the No. 60 Golden Eagles.With the victory, Notre Dame has put itself in excellent position to clinch to No. 1 seed at the Big East tournament in Tampa on April 21-23. Boston College is the only Big East team besides Notre Dame currently ranked in the national rankings.In doubles, Notre Dame got 8-4 wins from its No. 1 and No. 3 pairings and a 8-2 victory at the No. 2 position to give the Irish the doubles point. Lauren Connelly and Brook Buck defeated Lindsey Nash and Gia Nafarette at the No. 2 position, improving their team-best doubles record to 16-4.At No. 3, Sarah Jane Connelly and Kristina Stastny had no trouble with Boston College's Caitlin Arnould and Morgan Landes, and Notre Dame's top doubles team of Catrina and Christian Thompson dispatched Szilvia Szegedi and Nida Waseem.The Irish were equally impressive in singles competition with Catrina Thompson knocking off Szegedi 6-3, 1-0 at No. 1 in a match that was shortened when Szegedi retired with an injury.At No. 2, Buck defeated Waseem 6-1, 6-2, and Christian Thompson disposed of Nash by a score of 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 3 position. At No. 4, Lauren Connelly and Landes had the most competitive match, with Connelly winning 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (13-11) to improve her match tiebreaker record to 5-0. Stastny knocked off Amy Molden 6-3, 6-0 at No. 5, and Liz Donohue defeated Nafarette 6-1, 6-2 to close out the victory at the No. 6 position.With the shutout victory, the Irish improved their all-time record against Boston College to 11-0.Notre Dame returns home Friday to face No. 6 Duke at 3:30 p.m.