Batteast, Duffy named AP All-Americans

Senior Jacqueline Batteast and junior Megan Duffy were the leaders of this year's Irish and have received national recognition as a result.Batteast and Duffy earned Associated Press All-American honors Wednesday, with Batteast earning third-team honors, and Duffy chosen as an honorable mention, one of 27 players to earn that honor.The awards were chosen by 45 members of a national media panel who also conduct the weekly women's basketball poll. Batteast earned honorable mention honors last year, and this year earned a spot on the team after what was arguably the best season of her career. She was named the Big East Player of the Year and was MVP of the Preseason WNIT. The finalist for the John R. Wooden Women's Award and Naismith Award, Batteast averaged 16.9 points and 6.6 rebounds per game. The senior was also named first-team All-Big East for the second straight year, and this is the fourth time she has been named to an All-Big East team.Duffy was named first team All-Big East for the first time in her career after averaging 12.3 points and 5.4 assists per game. She led the conference in steals per game with 2.73, and in free throw percentage, shooting at an 89.5 percent clip. The point guard also had a 1.73 assist to turnover ratio, sixth in the Big East.The duo ended their season Monday night with a loss to Arizona State 70-61 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in Fresno, Calif. The Irish finished second in the Big East, behind Rutgers, and were 27-6 on the year. The 27 wins are the third highest in school history.