The Observer is a student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame, Saint Mary's & Holy Cross. Learn about us.



Bengal Bouts: First punches thrown at this year’s Bengal Bouts

Everett, John | Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Chris Calderone, a sophomore with a quick jab, needed little time to come away the victor in a match against John Townsend. The fight was stopped upon the conclusion of the first of three scheduled rounds. Calderone will go on to face Paul “Paulie Walnuts” Hagan, who whacked Drew “Jermaine O’Neal” Whiting in a split decision. Whiting fought well, but took too many of Hagan’s jabs in the face.

Sophomore Mike Rooney came out swinging right from the opening bell against Brian “The Southern Gun” Wierson. Wierson must have been shooting blanks, as he couldn’t seem to stall Rooney’s attack. Wierson was given a standing eight-count early in the second round and was also sent to his corner twice to stop a nosebleed that kept coming back throughout the fight. The fight was stopped and the decision awarded to Rooney just 1:22 into the second round. Rooney goes on to face senior Galen Loughrey, who had a bye.

160 pounds

Joe Christorforetti, a law student, showed that prospective lawyers don’t always need to use rhetoric and legal precedents to settle their disputes. He garnered a unanimous decision in his bout against sophomore Kevin “Captain of the Starship Enterprise” Henderman. Henderman started strong but couldn’t get his fists back up to warp speed in the third round, when Christorforetti took over for good. Christorforetti will next take on junior Mark Basola, who earned a bye into the quarterfinals.

Adam “The Steel Ghost” Burns, one of the few southpaws in the competition, took a decision from Conor “Con-man” McEvily with a series of ferocious left hooks. Burns will face law student Billy “Excuses” Henderman, who defeated freshman Hunter Land in an absolute brawl of a fight that brought the crowd to its feet. The fight was stopped numerous times as both boxers were bleeding by the second round.

Preston “The Punching Idahoan” Carter took a unanimous decision over Dan “You’re Only Going to Hear My Nickname Once” Olson. Olson recovered from a trip in the first round, but his late charge wasn’t enough to take out Carter. Carter will now face junior Daniel Liem, who made quick work of senior Kevin Loria. Liem managed to knock Loria down twice, forcing the referee to give Loria two separate standing eight-counts, one each in the second and third rounds. The fight was stopped 24 seconds into the third round.

Tim “The Nevada Nailer” Uhalde won a unanimous decision over Sean Wieland. Wieland tripped in the first round, but recovered to put up a challenge for the more experienced Uhalde. Uhalde goes on to the quarterfinals to face Bobby “The Polish Pistol” Gorynski. Gorynski managed to force Stephen Barbera to take two standing eight-counts within the first ten seconds of the second round. The fight was stopped and awarded to Gorynski just 15 seconds into the second round.