Men's Golf: Final round surge puts Irish in 2nd

A strong push in the final round secured a second place finish for the Irish in the last day of the General Jim Hackler Invitational.

The Irish moved into fourth place Sunday to put the team 11 strokes off the pace of tournament host Coastal Carolina.

With a final team score of 891, the Irish more than cut that lead in half Monday to finish only five shots behind Coastal Carolina at 886.

"We're coming very close to becoming a very good team," Notre Dame head coach Jim Kublinski said. "We just have to keep gaining more confidence in ourselves and keep getting put into the fire of these high-quality tournaments."

Sophmore Shane Sigsbee lead the Irish squad with a second place finish overall and an individual score of 215. In his first start this season, Sigsbee came into the third round in a three way tie for first and fell only one stroke behind the leader.

"Shane [Sigsbee] was really the star for us, playing some super golf," Kubinski said after the second round Sunday.

Junior Mark Baldwin shot consistently to place 14th overall with a score of 225 after being in 28th place on Sunday. Freshman Greg Rodgers surged to a 22nd place finish after being locked at 33rd after the second round.

The Irish placed ahead of five teams ranked in the top 50 Golfweek/Sagarin squad.

According to Kubinski, the key to success in these tournaments has been the team's confidence against any competition.

"You've got to believe in yourself ... and have that confidence that we're going to go into tournaments [knowing] we're going to beat these guys," Kubinski said.

The Irish will resume action April 2 when they participate in the Augusta State Invitational.