ND, SMC eager for break from classes

With spring break just a few classes away, students are planning to drop their books and head to exotic vacation spots, service trips, athletic events or even home.

Senior David Purcell scheduled the typical college spring break with fun in the sun. He and his friends are leaving the snow and traveling to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

"I've never been out of the country," Purcell said. "So, I'm really excited to get out of South Bend and into some warm weather."

Sophomore Greg Stewart will also spend his spring break in warm weather. Stewart is headed to Florida with his father and brother. He expects to spend most of his time golfing in Naples and West Palm.

"I've been counting the days for a few weeks now," Stewart said. "Everyone needs a break from South Bend."

Students' planned spring break adventures do not end in North America. Many students made travel plans to Europe, including junior Daniel Klauer, who said he will be traveling to Italy to visit a friend overseas.

"I am off to my motherland for break," he said.

Junior Tim Moore and senior Ryan Mineburg also will be traveling abroad. Moore, who said he was never interested in traveling to the South, also said he is excited to go to London during break. He has traveled to Europe before and said he is excited to return without commitments to "soak up the culture."

Mineburg also will be sightseeing in London to enrich his mind while not in class by visiting historic sites.

"I really love castles," he said. "I am going to see every one in the area."

While many students will be traveling and relaxing, others have sacrificed their spring breaks to help the community. Over 150 students plan to participate in the Appalachia service learning project.

Junior Justin Doyle is one of those students. He said the trip provides students with the opportunity to practice the mission of Father Edward Sorin - the school's founder - to make Notre Dame a major source of service in the country.

"It is important to show marginalized and disadvantaged groups in our society that we care through our presence," Doyle said.

Athletic teams will also take advantage of the break to get a head start for the spring sports seasons. Ben Crouse, a junior soccer player, said while his team is headed to Florida, they will be training intensely.

"It is not going to be a vacation," he said. "It is going to be a business trip."

During the week, the team will compete against the U-17 national team and Virginia.

As some students are heading away from Notre Dame to various vacation spots, others have chosen to work and enjoy the simple comforts of home.

Junior Allison Livingston will not get much of a break next week as she travels home to Colorado Springs, Colo. to study for the MCATs. Livingston said she is not disappointed not to travel, as she is excited to spend time with her family and catch up on sleep. Many other students plan to stay on campus to study for this medical school entrance examination, which will take place after break in April.