Belles ready for upcoming meet

The Belles take on the Kalamazoo Hornets today in their third conference match of the season. Following its frustrating loss to Hope College last week, the team is fired up and ready for its next conference challenger. "We were hoping to beat Hope, so the fact that we lost to them was a wake-up call," captain Kristen Palombo said. "So hopefully we can go into the Kalamazoo match with a little vengeance so that last week's match is the last match we lose."The Belles have started the season with a 1-1 conference record. Kalamazoo has had a similar start to the season with a record of 2-1, suffering its first conference loss to Albion last week. "Hope is ranked really well right now, but they haven't been challenged yet. Kalamazoo is in our boat because they've lost one of their first conference matches of the season too," Palombo said. Although the season is still young, the Belles are beginning to get a clear picture of what future conference match-ups will be like. "Our focus now it to get our girls experience which will help them gain mental toughness during match play that you can't develop during practice," Palombo said. "We're going to go out and make up ground that we lost last week."As for the team's season-ending goals, "the conference tournament is up in the air and we want to show other teams what we are made of then," Palombo said. "We are looking more toward the tournament instead of the conference title, any conference wins during regular season will be icing on the cake for us."The match is set to begin at 3 p.m. today in Kalamazoo.