BOOKSTORE BASKETBALL XXXIV: 'U Got A Bad Draw' forfeits semifinal

U Got A Bad Draw did not arrive at the scheduled time for its semifinal matchup. Due to some confusion and miscommunication about whether the game was rescheduled, the top-seeded team was forced to forfeit the game. According to U Got A Bad Draw captain Chinedum Ndukwe, Ndukwe and teammates Brady Quinn and Dan Stevenson agreed with Looking for a Sponsor's Rhema McKnight to reschedule the game. The football players did not want to risk possible injury by playing in Saturday's rough weather conditions. U Got A Bad Draw had trouble communicating with Looking for a Sponsor and the Bookstore Commissioners. Looking for a Sponsor arrived Saturday ready to play, but without McKnight (who also did not play in Sunday's championship game). Ndukwe was disappointed in the way the tournament ended for his team, which won the championship last year. "I was under the understanding that we were going to get the game changed to later that night or the next morning," Ndukwe said. "There's no way I was going to play an outdoor basketball game like that. It wouldn't have been worth it. "I'm not trying to blame anybody. It's just an unfortunate situation. I feel like we should have played each other."Looking for a Sponsor captain Joe McClyde regretted that the semifinal game could not be played, but said it was the decision of the Bookstore Basketball Commissioners. "The Bookstore people did not get contacted, so they put it down as a forfeit since the right measures weren't taken to let the Bookstore know," McClyde said. "The other game was played. I think it was expected that we play too. More or less this falls on the Bookstore. Pretty much we had to operate off of them."Head Bookstore Basketball commissioner Luke Maher said the commissioners tried to gather all the information from both sides before making a decision. "Based on the situation we were presented and the rules that were written in the Bookstore guidelines, we made the decision that we made and awarded the victory to Looking for a Sponsor at the Moment," Maher said. "We did our best to make a fair and impartial decision based on the situation."

We Get Wet 21, CoCoa Butter 16In a game played through freezing temperatures and snow, We Get Wet defeated CoCoa Butter Saturday in the first semifinal match up. The weather made it almost impossible to shoot from the perimeter. The game was extremely physical and played inside the paint for the most part.At halftime, We Get Wet led 11-9. The team pulled away from CoCoa Butter in the second half behind the scoring of Jim Kilroy. Justin Funk made a free throw attempt that ended the game and CoCoa Butter's run through the tournament.Ron Dokes led CoCoa Butter in the game with nine points. The big man was named to the All-Bookstore team for his play in the tournament.

Elite Eight Results:u CoCoa Butter 27, Jack's Shorts 25u Looking for a Sponsor at the Moment 21, State Theater 19u We Get Wet 21, Platinum FUBU 14u U Got A Bad Draw 21, Training Day 15