Members discuss spring events

The 2005-2006 Saint Mary's College Board of Governance (BOG) met Monday to discuss the events planned for the remainder of the school year and to begin planning events for the Saint Mary's community next year.

Student body president Kellye Mitros thanked the Board for its help with Spring Day on Campus Sunday. Admissions commissioner Annie Davis said Spring Day was a success, noting the College had received a lot of positive feedback on the panels and tours from visiting students and parents.

Mitros also informed the Board that Saint Mary's College will host its second Down the Avenue Fundraiser this Wednesday. This event will benefit the Office for Civic and Social Engagement and will honor Kathy Malone Beeler, Class of 1969, and Ginger Francis, Class of 2006, for their dedication to service.

Thursday, the College will be hosting SMC Tostal, an all-day event planned to coincide with the much-anticipated dedication of the new Student Center.

The Student Center will be having an open house, and tours of the new facilities will be available from 1 to 5 p.m. The Saint Mary's Board of Trustees will be on campus for the event, and there will be a mass at 4:15 p.m. in the Regina Chapel.

The Blessing of the Student Center, Noble Family Dining Hall and Alumnae Green will take place at 5:15 p.m. After the comedian, movies, games and the picnic planned for the day, the festivities will conclude with a fireworks show that evening.

President of the Student Diversity Board (SDB) Amanda Shropenshire reminded the Board that SDB will be hosting speaker Maura Weis Friday in the Student Center at 5:30 pm.

Maura Weis, wife of incoming Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis, will give a talk on autism. Their daughter, Hannah Weis, is globally developmentally delayed.

Sophomore class president Heidi Goeppinger announced her board has already begun to meet and to work on distributing a survey to determine their class' interest for events next year. The Class of 2007 is also co-sponsoring Battle of the Bands Friday at 6 p.m. at Legends.