Tuesday, March 19, 2024

MEN'S LACROSSE: Irish hope to rebound from loss

It's time to get serious.Notre Dame (5-2), coming off a disheartening loss at Dartmouth, is heading into a weekend where it will take on Denver Thursday and Air Force Saturday.The two games are imperative to Notre Dame's chances of receiving an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament starting May 14.If the Irish win out in their remaining four games, they will win the Great Western Lacrosse League and receive an automatic berth.Before they worry about that, however, they will first have to defeat Denver (5-2), an extremely talented Great Western Lacrosse League team that has yet to play a league game. "We're going to face a real challenge, because Denver is a very good team and our guys know that," Irish coach Kevin Corrigan said. "But I think we're a good team too."The one-goal, 10-9 loss to Dartmouth was tough as the Irish allowed two goals in the final three minutes, but Corrigan is confident his team will be able to rebound."I think we'll bounce back well," Corrigan said. "I think that last weekend was a tough weekend for us, but I really believe that our guys are excited."All season, Corrigan has emphasized the Irish need to be consistent from start to finish in order to win. That consistency was not there against Dartmouth and will need to be there against Denver."We didn't play well at Dartmouth. If there was any consistency at Dartmouth, it was not on the positive side," Corrigan said. "[Denver] is one of those games - it's a league game that we need to win, and they need to win, frankly. So I think this is one of those games where you just find a way to get it done."The Irish have only played one home game this season - a 22-6 romping of Butler - so the prospect of playing a game at Notre Dame tomorrow is exciting."In a year when we don't have a lot of home games, we're very excited to be home,"Corrigan said. "[They're excited] to play in front of their friends and family here."The game will begin at 4 p.m. at Moose Krause Stadium.