Mitros, McIlduff ready for transition

After a bumpy year for Saint Mary's student government, incoming student body president Kellye Mitros and vice president Susan McIlduff are looking forward to a smooth transition to the year ahead.

"We have been very impressed by the work of student government this year, and we look forward with great anticipation to building on the success of our predecessors," Mitros said.

Former student body president Sarah Catherine White and vice president Mary Pauline Moran encountered roadblocks in the form of controversy and protests against the Pride Week shirt and the approval of a gay/straight alliance on campus. Mitros and McIlduff observed and realized the importance of achieving their main platform goals - especially integrating diversity awareness into student government - and said they "firmly believe" each goal can be accomplished by the end of their term.

"We have already begun to work on many of these [platform] issues," Mitros said. "During the selection process for [Board of Governance] we interviewed several candidates for the newly created position of Health and Wellness Commissioner and are extremely happy with our choice.

"We have also made plans for bringing a speaker on diversity to our Student Government retreat in the hopes of making all members of Student Government more aware of sensitive issues."

Mitros and McIlduff also plan to provide stronger student representation to College administration and to work with the new Vice President of Admissions and Enrollment Management to increase enrollment and retention.

The College is currently searching for candidates to fill the role of Vice President of Admissions and Enrollment Management, and the Mitros/McIlduff team will have to work to represent student needs through BOG Admissions Comissioner Annie Davis, who will sit in on the search committee.

Another challenge unique to the upcoming administration is that of integrating the new Student Center into campus life. Mitros said the pair intends to advocate the new facility as "a women's center that promotes a sense of community."

"With the opening of the new Student Center, the women involved in forming the women's center and defining its role on campus have been working furiously to become comfortable in their new space while planning for the future of the organization," she said. "As members of the committee, Susan and I are extremely excited to see the progress these passionate women have been making."

Mitros also said she and McIlduff hope to inspire passion for Saint Mary's among students during their term by promoting understanding and appreciation of the College's history.

"Through our work during Inauguration Week, Susan and I have realized the need and the interest on the part of students to learn about our history as a college and the history of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross," she said. "We have begun to plan a series of lectures throughout the coming school year to teach the Saint Mary's community about the amazing history of our college and of the women who have played an integral role in making our college what it is today."