New recycling campaign begins

The first ever "From Old to Gold" campaign will morph Notre Dame stadium into a gigantic yard sale of items donated by students leaving for the summer on May 21 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. "From Old to Gold" is open to everyone in the community and benefit the South Bend community and many participating charities. A $5 admission will be charged for early shoppers, who will have the opportunity to sort through all of the best items said Alan Bigger, director of Building Services.United Way of St. Joseph County and numerous charities have worked with the University to make this event possible, Bigger said. In each residence hall, barrels are positioned for students to place unwanted items and food as they move out for the summer.Beginning today, volunteers will pick up any items placed in the barrels and bring them to the stadium for storing and sorting, Bigger said. After senior week, the team of volunteers will once again collect items on May 16 and 17. "I figure there will be 30 tons [of food and item]", said Bigger.Bigger stressed the multiple levels of "From Old to Gold," and the way the program benefits many members of the community.Students may now donate and also conveniently dispose of unnecessary items. Members of the community will be able to make affordable purchases and charities will receive the earning. Lastly, the community as a whole worked to minimize disposed items in the landfills, Bigger said."Obviously the last thing we want to do is discard into the landfill," Bigger said.The idea of "From Old to Gold" came from Pennsylvania State University. The Association of Higher Education Facilities officers presented Penn State with the "Effective and Innovative Practice Award" at the Educational Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C. in July 2004 for their similar program entitled "Trash to Treasure," said Bigger.This will be Penn State's fourth year sponsoring the event. "Trash to Treasure" has been extremely successful, grossing $54,673 last year, according to the Penn State Web site. "From Old to Gold" coordinators likewise expect this event to be successful. "I have no doubt ND students can surpass any students in the nation," Bigger said.Jackie Rucker, director of Community Relations, said the responses from people in the community have been positive. "I think it is something we can build on," Rucker said, mentioning that eventually the University hopes to team up with Saint Mary's for the event.