Parking spots may be scarce for game day

Those attending Saturday's Blue-Gold spring football game may face more problems than just nabbing a good seat in the stadium. Finding a parking spot may pose a challenge, due to the construction currently underway on the soccer fields on Edison Road previously used for parking on football weekends.

"It's an area south of Edison and it is owned by the University," assistant director of Notre Dame Security/Police Philip Johnson said.

According to the University Architect's office, the construction on the fields is part of the campus roads project, wherein Edison Road and Route 23 will be widened. A large portion of the existing Edison will be demolished and realigned so a four-lane north-south road can be created where Edison meets Ivy Road.

The fields will be relocated for the fall football season, according to the University Architect's office.

However, Johnson said that there will be plenty of parking available to campus visitors this weekend and in the fall.

"[Parking] just won't be south of the stadium," Johnson said. "There is also a shuttle that will run from White Field lot down to the library, just like on a typical football Saturday."

On difference between the Blue-Gold Game weekend and typical football Saturdays, however, is that traffic is usually one way in front of the Joyce Center, a change that will not occur for the Blue-Gold game.

"We will have additional officers to facilitate traffic as best we can, but there may be some extra buildup [because of two-way traffic]," Johnson said.

Lots still open for parking are the Joyce Center lot, B2 Lot and D2 North Lot, as well as space near the Notre Dame Federal Credit Union and White Field North, Brown said.

Additionally, Notre Dame Sports Properties has organized a fan festival from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Joyce Center parking lot, which is also usually filled with cars for football weekends.

"[The fan festival] is taking up some of the additional parking," Johnson said.

According to the Sports Properties office, there will be interactive inflatable games for kids, a DJ and a performance by the Irish Dance Club. Chick-fil-A will be handing out free samples and Meijer and other sponsors will have booths set up.