SMC GOLF: Belles best of 13 teams at Ohio tournament

The Belles rang in the new season with a tournament victory. The team took first place in the Capital University 2005 Purple and White Golf Invitational in Foxfire, Ohio, this Friday and Saturday.The Belles won the 13-team tournament, shooting a course record 357. They edged out the Ohio Northern squad by three strokes in the tournament."Its good anytime you win, to beat 13 teams, but we definitely didn't play up to our potential," Belles coach Mark Hamilton said. "It was tough weather on a tough course, but in the end we played better than the other teams, and that is what matters."The inclement weather that shortened the tournament to only 18 holes did not prevent several Belles from having impressive individual performances. Senior Steffanie Simmerman tied for overall lowest score with 83 strokes, which was also the club course record. Fellow senior Julia Adams finished second with an 84.While two other Belles, captain Chrissy Dunham and Megan Mattia, rounded out the top 20, the team was not satisfied. "We had two really great performances by Simmerman and Adams, but I know some of the other girls were disappointed with their performances," Hamilton said.The Belles are preparing to play in the Tri-State University Invitational Tournament this Saturday at 10 a.m. in Angola, Indiana. The team has been working hard to fix weaknesses and maintain strengths that were evident at Foxfire. "Our ball striking has been solid," Hamilton said. "Weather has hindered us from getting out on the course to practice. This affects mental preparedness and our short game. "