SMC SOFTBALL: Belles drop two to Albion

The Belles' lack of playing experience showed this Saturday as Saint Mary's (5-10, 0-2 in the MIAA) dropped a doubleheader on the road against Adrian (8-13, 3-3). The Belles fell 4-1 in game one, then dropped game two by a close 11-9 score. The losses were the first of the MIAA season for Saint Mary's, which has now lost 11 games in a row. The Belles last won March 10 against Emmanuel (Mass.) College.Saint Mary's fell behind early in both games, and matched Adrian nearly hit for hit in the doubleheader - the Bulldogs had 18 hits to the Belles' 17 - but the Belles hitters could not get the big hit when the team needed it.Saint Mary's was also unable to take advantage of the Bulldogs' miscues. Adrian committed nine errors in the doubleheader, including seven in game two.Bridget Grall started the first game for the Belles, allowing seven hits and four earned runs while striking out two. Adrian's Kelli Szczepanski scatted six hits while striking out three to earn the victory as both pitchers went seven innings.Sarah Miesle picked up the only RBI for Saint Mary's in that game, doubling in the fifth inning to score Katie Cosimano from second base with two outs.In the second game, Amando Trevino started on the mound for the Belles but did not make it out of the third inning, as McKenna Corrigan came on in relief with one out in the third. Grall later relieved Corrigan, pitching the final two innings of the game.Trevino allowed seven hits and eight earned runs in a shaky start that included three wild pitches. Corrigan allowed two earned runs, while Grall worked a scoreless sixth and seventh inning.Jessica VanTroostenberghe pitched a complete game victory for the Bulldogs, and also hit a solo home run in the first inning. She allowed 11 hits and nine runs, all of which were unearned.Laura Heline, Megan Myers and Kimberly Hodges each had one RBI in the Belles' losing effort.Saint Mary's remains on the road to face first-place Calvin in a doubleheader Tuesday.