SMC SOFTBALL: Tri-State sweeps doubleheader

Saint Mary's (5-10) dropped both games of its double-header to Tri-State University (12-7) Monday afternoon by the scores of 6-1 and 10-5. The Belles are now 0-2 against MIAA opponents and find themselves in the midst of a seven game losing streak, with their last win coming during the spring trip against Emmanuel College back on March 10.

Rust may have played a significant role in the Belle's sluggish play, as the games yesterday were the first action the team has seen since mid-March. Unfortunately, all games of the Trinity International Tournament from this past weekend were cancelled.

Game one saw much of the same type of play that has resulted in the Belles finding themselves five games under .500. The Saint Mary's offense managed just five hits off Tri-State pitcher Abbie Walker, and the defense didn't help out freshman pitcher McKenna Corrigan by committing three errors in the field.

Junior third baseman Laura Heline had two hits, including the team's only extra-base hit, and scored the offense's only run of the game in the top of second when freshman catcher Megan Myers delivered with an RBI single. Corrigan pitched well enough for the win in giving up three earned runs on seven hits in her six innings of work, but three Belles miscues accounted for the three unearned runs.

Game two saw each offense come alive, but four more errors and timely hitting by Tri-State eventually did in Saint Mary's. Junior pitcher Bridget Grall was roughed up for 13 hits and seven earned runs in seven innings, and the offense couldn't figure out Tri-State's Walker the second time around as she gave up only one hit in shutting down the Belles over the final three innings.

Myers and junior second baseman Meghan Marenkovic led the way on offense with two hits apiece. Marenkovic, freshman DH Beth Achterhoff, sophomore shortstop Sarah Miesle and junior centerfielder Audrey Gajor all chipped in with an RBI each.

Grall could not stop Tri-State's outfielder duo of Steph Dura and Karly Hooker, who each had three hits and combined for four RBI's and three runs scored.

Next up for the Belles will be Albion College this Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. at the Saint Mary's Softball Diamond.