ND Volleyball: Hurricane hits close to Henican

So far, Meg Henican, a native of New Orleans, La., has dealt with hurricane Katrina's battering of her hometown just as she deals with the game of volleyball - calmly.

"It's actually a pretty good distraction - something else to focus on," she said.

"My family has all evacuated. They are doing well ... and most of my friends, too. They are all safe. I haven't really been able to keep in touch with anybody because the phones don't work, so that's a little frustrating, a little nerve-wracking."

Her parents were in town last weekend for the Michigan match, so they decided to stay for the week, long enough to keep their daughter company and to watch this weekend's Inn at Saint Mary's Shamrock Invitational.

"I try to keep my friends around, and my parents are here," Henican said. "They are here to help me cope with everything."

The senior libero/outside hitter and co-captain is already showing why she was given her title.

She enjoys the game. She relaxes. And she certainly doesn't panic.

Just as she keeps her composure on the court, Henican has tried to stay focused and easy-going throughout this trying week.

"It was just really fun to finally play [Saturday]," she said. "We've been having double days and practicing for so long since the beginning of August, so it was nice to get out on the court and kind of let our team develop a little bit. We did a lot of good things, and we saw a lot of things that we need to work on."

Henican, who also served as a captain last season, is only the 10th multiple-year captain in Notre Dame volleyball history. She needs 485 digs this season to break the Irish career record.

After a solid first game, Henican is eager to take on two top teams this weekend in No. 11 Texas and Arizona State.

"We're just excited to get back on the court," she said. "We have a lot that we can just fix [this week in practice]. Just being low on coverage and little things like that. [And] some blocking that we need to work on."

So, despite all the possible distractions this week, the even-keeled Henican has kept her cool.

While she is concerned about her hometown and her friends, when the Irish take the court against the Longhorns and the Sun Devils, Henican plans to keep her mind on volleyball - a welcomed distraction from life's worries.