New FedEx Kinko's opens on campus

The window to the copy shop in the basement of Grace Hall still reads ND, but there is nothing Irish about the bright purple wall inside.

The new paint is the beginning of transforming the appearance of the old ND Copy Shop into what is now the first of two on-campus FedEx Kinko's locations. Matthew Erste, FedEx Kinko's major account manager, said not all of the usual FedEx Kinko's signage is in place yet because FedEx Kinko's typically takes twice as long to arrange a new location than it has in Grace Hall.

The presence of a FedEx Kinko's on campus comes as a result of a University review of the copy centers. The new arrangement includes an additional FedEx Kinko's, which is scheduled to assume the current LaFortune Copy Shop location during fall break, Erste said. This location will put the business right in the middle of campus, an area with high student traffic.

"Kinko's benefits because we are closer to our market," Erste said.

Erste also said FedEx Kinko's is leasing the two locations from the University, and will treat them as they would any off-campus location.

"From our perspective, these are two new retail spaces," he said.

However, he also said Kinko's began on college campuses in California and the company is "excited to be part of the University."

As such, Erste speculated that FedEx Kinko's will "probably sponsor something down the road, be it a concert or handing out free coffee."