Treadmills replaced at Rockne facility

Students who frequent the workout facilities in the Rockne Memorial building may notice some updated equipment this semester. After replacing its elliptical machines and steppers last year, the "Rock" replaced three of its four treadmills with newer Precor machines this summer.

Sally Derengoski, director of RecServices and Fitnesss, said she could not give specific budget numbers, but she did say that the Rock operates under a "five-year fitness equipment replacement plan."

Every year, fitness equipment is evaluated and decisions are then made as to what machines needs replacement, Derengoski said.

"At least $20,000" is spent on new fitness equipment each year, although the number varies slightly year to year, Derengoski said.

She also said that fitness equipment remains a "high priority" because of its popularity with students.

"The fitness equipment replacement plan has been very useful to us in making plans for purchasing new fitness equipment," Derengoski said. "With literally hundreds of thousands of visits each year to the recreation fitness rooms that RecSports oversees, it's really important to us to keep the equipment up to date and in good shape."

Many students were not happy with the quality of the treadmills formerly in the Rock, and the gym's patrons warmly welcomed the new equipment.

Matt Morris, a sophomore who uses the Rock about three times a week, was satisfied with the improvements.

"Some of the equipment is old and outdated, but it is still really good," Morris said.

Jennifer Phillips, assistant director of Fitness and Fitness Facilities, said that while there are no definite plans, there could possibly be new exercise bicycles in the near future.

Rich Dube, a sophomore who uses facilities at the Rock almost every day, says he "can't complain" because the equipment is so much better than what he had at his high school.