FedEx Kinko's opens on campus

Notre Dame students, faculty and staff can now meet their copy needs quickly - and more cheaply than ever - at the campus' new FedEx Kinko's.

Last spring, a campus committee researched ways to provide copy services more efficiently at the request of Executive Vice President John Affleck-Graves. Members came up with a revamping of all copy services on campus and the addition of FedEx Kinko's - a solution that "translates to a lower cost per copy for Notre Dame students, faculty and staff," said Dan Skendzel, director of Administrative Services and Business Operations.

While copy centers in Decio, O'Shaugnessey and Mendoza will remain open, the five copy centers on campus operated by different University departments and Copy Wright, Inc.'s Copy Shop in LaFortune are closed or will be closing.

"It is much more efficient to have one entity operating copy centers on campus," Skendzel said.

A new FedEx Kinko's is currently located in Grace Hall and will be renting another location in the space currently occupied by Copy Wright, Inc. in LaFortune beginning around fall break, said Matthew Erste, FedEx Kinko's major account manager.

Skendzel said the University looked into several options for new printing services on campus before deciding on FedEx Kinko's.

"FedEx Kinko's was the successful bidder of three companies that submitted proposals," Skendzel said. "FedEx Kinko's was the most compelling in terms of expertise, service and pricing."

Even though some course packets will still be available though the O'Shaugnessy copy shop, FedEx Kinko's provides a network that allows for course packets to be bought along with regular books at the bookstore. Course packets will be available for purchase on insideND and can be picked up at the FedEx Kinko's State Road 23 location off campus, Grace Hall, LaFortune or the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore.

"We've tried to segment the market needs but also make the campus community aware that each of these locations is essentially interchangeable," Skendzel said.

The Grace Hall FedEx Kinko's is geared toward high volume copy requests, while the LaFortune location will be more of a typical retail location and the State Road 23 location is open 24 hours per day for late night service.

At all locations, Notre Dame students will pay $.04 per black and white copy, down from the copy shop's charge of $.08. Other FedEx Kinko's benefits include online ordering and pick-up at any of the three locations.