FOOTBALL RECRUITING: Three recruits join top-notch class for Weis

Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis received three more verbal commitments this week, upping the number of Irish recruits in the class of 2006 to 16.

The most recent commit of the group is George West out of Northeast Academy in Oklahoma City, Okla. He is joined by a pair of safeties: Leonard Gordon and Jashaad Gaines, who committed to Notre Dame on Sept. 17 and Sept. 20 respectively.

West committed to Notre Dame Thursday and, according to Mike Frank of Irisheyes.com, could play either cornerback, wide receiver or kick returner for the Irish.

"West is really one of my favorite players in Notre Dame's entire class this year," Frank said. "He's a really explosive kid."

Gordon hails from Fort Campbell High School in Kentucky and could also play cornerback in addition to his regular safety.

"He's a really physical kid, a big kid for a safety," Frank said.

Frank was also impressed with Gaines, a safety who he said could fit nicely at the apache backer position for the Irish.

"He's very fast and very physical," Frank said. "He plays full-throttle all the time."

Gaines, from Las Vegas High School in Nev. is listed at 6-foot, 205 pounds and ran a 4.67 40-yard-dash this summer at the Nike recruiting combine.

West is the smallest physically of the trio at 5-foot-8 and 165 pounds. However, he runs a 4.65 40-yard-dash and has already returned three punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns as a senior for his high school this season. As a junior, he made nine interceptions and tallied 900 yards receiving.

Gordon chose the Irish over Vanderbilt and Kentucky after making 128 tackles his junior season.