Local coffee shop honors Weis

After the Irish victory last weekend, head football coach Charlie Weis is more popular than ever.

Nowhere is this more evident than at the Chocolate Café, where they are now serving a new mocha in honor of the Irish's new coach, named the "Winning Weis Mocha."

A popular hangout and eatery for students, South Bend citizens and visiting fans, the Chocolate Café invented this concoction "just about a month ago," said café manager, Jessie Vance, to create Notre Dame football atmosphere in South Bend.

"During football season, we'll have different promotions, especially if Notre Dame gets a new coach, and bring it back out when the season begins," commented Jenny Landry, assistant manager of the café.

According to the café, a hint of Irish cream, rich chocolate and flavorful coffee are the ingredients to making the perfect mocha and the perfect coach.

The invention was created by Christina Pier, who is in charge of marketing, advertising and other promotions for the South Bend Chocolate Café. In addition, Vance reports that the mocha goes well with a "piece of chocolate or Danish" from the café.

"I think it's a cool idea to sell this mocha because it supports the team and Coach Weis," said sophomore Christina Marzo. "I hope that 'Winning Weis' actually holds true for the rest of the season."

Sophomore Meghan Kelly said she appreciated the new concoction.

"I think it's nice that they're integrating Weis into the Chocolate Café," Kelly said. "It's nice that he's been accepted as a part of the South Bend community."

Similar responses came from students who tasted the "Winning Weis Mocha" at the Chocolate Café.

Freshman, Michael Huang, who tried the mocha, described it enthusiastically.

"The mocha isn't too sweet and just right," Huang said.

Vance reports that the mocha "does well" at the downtown café and hopes to see more wins for Weis in the near future.

The Chocolate Café is located in downtown South Bend on 122 South Michigan next to the College Football Hall of Fame.