Michigan ticket lotto held this afternoon

After today's football ticket lottery organized by the Student Union Board (SUB), the University of Michigan's Big House can expect approximately 300 additional Notre Dame students for the Sept. 10 showdown between the Fighting Irish and the Wolverines.

SUB will be distributing tickets allocated by the Athletic Department and Student Activities Office through a well-organized and efficient lottery today. Students looking to obtain tickets may go to the club side of Legends between 12 and 5 p.m., said Jimmy Flaherty, SUB president.

Notre Dame undergraduate and graduate students are allowed to bring up to six IDs each. One hundred and forty eight winning lottery numbers will be drawn. Each winner can choose to purchase one or two tickets at $59 each. Winning numbers will be listed in The Observer tomorrow and posted outside of the SUB office at 201 LaFortune by 8 a.m.

"The lottery seems simple enough. I've never been to an away game as a student and am eager to see this rivalry in action," said sophomore Matt Casanova, who hopes to get tickets for the game.

Flaherty assures an efficient and well-run distribution process.

"This is a wonderful opportunity for SUB to provide a great service to the student body, while at the same time promoting this year's promising football season," Flaherty said.

Flaherty said he has learned from past efforts, and his staff is ready for a smooth- running afternoon at Legends.

Sophomore Kim Crehan is excited to see the Irish play in Ann Arbor.

"It will be great to be a guest in a different football atmosphere and part of an outnumbered cheering section, especially after last year's exciting victory," she said.

The last time the two teams met, the game ended with a huge home opener victory and a rushing of the Notre Dame field.

For those not able to get tickets, ABC will broadcast the game at 12 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 10.