Pride in Weis' character

As a Saint Mary's graduate, I have felt honor and pride when watching Notre Dame football, especially this year. Growing up, my family was from South Bend and Notre Dame was all I knew. However, I have never felt so much pride to be a part of the Notre Dame community as I did after reading the story on Charlie Weis and the Irish this morning.

I live in Indianapolis, and although you will find Notre Dame fans, it is not like the atmosphere of South Bend where the majority live and breath Notre Dame. On a local radio station this morning, they told the story of Weis and Montana, the child with a brain tumor. I was so moved I looked the story up online and forwarded it to everyone I know.

Not much needs to be said about Weis. We all expected that he would come into this community and help improve our football team. I don't think we all counted on his improving the community as well.

This is not the first kind story I have heard about this man. But I can honestly say that I am so proud to have a coach such as himself, and think that Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and even the city of South Bend should be honored to have him as part of the community.

Once again, Weis and the Irish have proved why Notre Dame's football will continue to be as great a tradition as it has been. It doesn't always have to do with how many games you win (although they are off to a great start). It is about how much class and character a team shows. With that said, I don't think there is a team that can compare to our Irish. Thank you for proving another reason why Notre Dame and its community excels above the rest.

Libby SpringeralumnaSept. 26