Rethink some positions

I fear I must once again take issue with Ian Ronderos' Sept. 27 column, "Liberty for all." First, let me say that I agree with most of the article, and I fully support homosexuals. However, there are a few issues with which I would be so bold as to disagree politely.

First, Ronderos discusses the inseparability of being a homosexual and the homosexual act (assuming, of course, that he means homosexual relations). I would agree that one cannot be homosexual without expressing it. But the expression of homosexuality is not limited to homosexual relations. No, it is much more complex than that. For example, the mere attraction of one person to another of the same sex is an expression of homosexuality.

Second, Ronderos says that "the essential reason that gay marriage is illegal is that the idea terrifies the evangelical right." Indeed, something so natural, i.e. genetic, yet so opposed to nature or the natural way of things should terrify all of us. By looking at nature and the animal kingdom, one will see that, even on such a base level, the male and female gender complement each other and were intended for each other, especially in terms of sexual reproduction.

But our fear should also call us to seek a deeper understanding. And we must never fail in our support for our homosexual brothers and sisters. As the Catechism states, "This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial (CCC 2358)."

Finally, on a smaller note, I do not concur with Ronderos when he accuses the most prominent Catholic university in the world of grossly distorting the actual message of Jesus. While I am not entirely aware of what Alliance ND stands for, I do know that Jesus' main message was one of love.

I am sure that no one, upon reading the Gospels with his or her heart, could possibly misinterpret that.

Andy BulsofreshmanAlumni HallSept. 27