Ticket distribution addressed

Determined to avoid a repeat of last spring's long, heated and ultimately inconclusive basketball ticketing debate, Student Senate quickly decided to send a letter to director of ticket operations Josh Berlo at Wednesday's meeting.

The letter, an updated version of one proposed last year, focuses on increasing both student attendance and student ticket options.

"One of our top priorities is to improve the student ticket exchange," the letter read. "Although it was not very successful last year, we believe the ticket exchange has great promise, and with some modification, it could become one of the key factors in boosting student attendance at home games."

Another key issue proposed in the letter is "Midnight Madness," an event open to the general public designed to pump up fans right before the season begins.

"Most schools do this," University Affairs committee chair Matt Walsh said. "And [Berlo] actually seems pretty excited about that."

Walsh said his committee would like to survey the student body to find out how many games the average student ticket-holder actually attends, "so we can be better informed."

Senators approved a second letter regarding "Majors Night," an idea proposed by the Academic Affairs committee.

"The committee hopes to create an event that will be similar to 'Activities Night,' where students will have the ability to come and learn about all programs that interest them," the letter said.

The proposal includes inviting local high schools in order to "not only provide a service to the local community, but [also] demonstrate the importance of a post high school education in today's world."

Academic Affairs committee chair Chris Harris said details would probably change closer to the event's projected date next spring.

Senators also confirmed the topic for this fall's presentation to the Board of Trustees - community relations.

Student body president Dave Baron said his experience this summer talking to South Bend residents about problematic student parties off campus drove home a point.

"Whether or not people believe in the ordinance, it really brought issues [to light] about how we're regarded in South Bend," Baron said. "We're respected around the world, but at our doorstep, if you say you're from Notre Dame it's not necessarily a good thing."

Student government makes a presentation on a topic of its choice to the Board of Trustees three times a year.

Senior Class Council officers took the podium at the beginning of the meeting to promote the Walk for the Cure, a Sept. 18 benefit walk for people with diabetes.

Senior Class secretary Ben Zerante, who has Type-1 diabetes, asked senators to spread the message to their dorms.

"Every year Notre Dame students participate, but it's kind of disorganized," Zerante said. "This year we would like one unified group walking."

Students can register online for the walk at www.jdrf.org.

In other Senate news

u Head of student activities Brian Coughlin urged senators to volunteer to collect donations for Hurricane Katrina victims at the home Michigan State football game Sept. 17, noting the success and importance of the post-9/11 collection that raised close to $280,000.

"It was really the public face of the University," Coughlin said. "It was all over broadcast TV. It reflected well on the University, and it was the right thing to do. And it's not something that's just going to happen."

Around half of the approximately 400 time slots have been filled.

u Student body vice president Lizzi Shappell said the student government table in LaFortune would now be staffed daily from noon to midnight to accept Hurricane Katrina donations.

"So far it's gone extremely well, and we've gotten great reception," Shappell said.