Defending the military

As a child of an Air Force family, I take personal issue with Michael Schorsch's Oct. 5 letter "'War Culture' the wrong path." First of all, Schorsch shows no knowledge of or appreciation for the Catholic Church's rich tradition of the just war theory. It is the Church's position that war can be justified as a last resort in order for a nation to right a wrong. Schorsch chooses to gloss over this point in his letter.

Secondly, the people that Schorsch wants to "pray for" so that they "will stop teaching ... false teachings that are so contrary to the mind of Christ" are doing their job so that he can continue to voice his opinion against them. My father served for five months in Iraq, and I know dozens of other men and women who have willingly given up comfort and home to serve our country. The least we can do is show a little appreciation for their sacrifice.

Thirdly, Schorsch uses the feast of St. Francis as a tool to push his agenda. Since when are Church feasts supposed to be fodder for political agendas? Schorsch pulls a feast out of its context as a day to remember St. Francis and uses it as an excuse to rant about the "wrongs" of a standing army.

So, while Schorsch may pray that the people in ROTC and the military will stop their work, I pray that they continue their selfless acts so that people everywhere, including Schorsch, have the right to speak out and be heard.

John BuschfreshmanFisherOct