MEN'S INTERHALL: O'Neill stops 'Roos; Dillon edges Morrissey; Stanford wins

The O'Neill defense bent the entire game but held at the most important moment to give the Angry Mob a 14-13 win over Keough.

The Kangaroos drove down the field with only minutes left to play, converting a fourth-and-16 en route to a 2-yard touchdown run by quarterback Faustin Weber. A Keough touchdown made the score 14-13, but the Kangaroos made a surprising call and elected to go for a two-point conversion.

"We wanted the win," Keough captain Brian Lang said. "We weren't going to settle for tie."

The Kangaroos put the ball in the hands of running back Mike Anello, but he was stopped just short of the goal line. Keough was stopped from getting its first win of the season.

"Our defense didn't let that drive get them down, and they showed a lot of guts stopping that 2-point conversion," O'Neill captain Matt Hughey said.

Anello finished the game with more than 100 yards of total offense, including an impressive individual effort resulting in the Kangaroos' first touchdown. On that play, Anello scampered 65 yards, broke two tackles and outran two O'Neill defenders to the end zone.

Keough's season (0-3-1) is now over. O'Neill (2-1) has a short week to prepare for a huge game against Keenan Thursday night.

Dillon 14, Morrissey 10

With under a minute to play, Dillon quarterback Kenny Cushing called his own number from the 1-yard line and punched in the sneak to take a 14-10 lead that would hold in a win over the Morrissey Manorites Sunday afternoon. The outcome looked dim for the Big Red when, with about six minutes remaining, Manorite quarterback Mike Spencer scrambled 15 yards into the endzone to give his team the lead.

Dillon then mounted a sixty-five yard drive that resulted in the game-winning touchdown.

Morrissey and Dillon now both find themselves in similar positions with a 2-1 record and one game remaining on the schedule for this week.

Dillon will play a make up game against Alumni this Thursday night. A win over the Dawgs will secure a spot in the playoffs for Dillon, but even with the loss there is still a chance of a post season birth for the Big Red. The same situation applies for Morrissey who takes on Stanford on Wednesday.

Stanford 14, Alumni 6

Stanford and Alumni clashed Sunday at Riehle Field. Both teams had prepared for an all-out battle and neither disappointed, as Stanford came away with a 14-6 win.

Stanford's offense started quickly, with Matt Frankenfeld catching a 40-yard pass on Stanford's opening play. They would score twice in the first half, establishing a lead they never surrendered.

"We played well," Stanford captain Phil McNicholas said. "Matt McQueary was playing at quarterback for the first time this season, and Kevin O'Boyle had never played at running back before. Both came through with impressive performances.

"Our defense, led by Dave Costanzo's two interceptions, also put on a great performance."

Alumni, keyed by Nick Chambers' critical goal-line interception, kept the game close by playing especially well in the second half. Quarterback Kerger Truesdell ran in a touchdown late in the fourth, set up by a long pass to receiver Eddie Villa.

Both teams have important games coming up this week. Stanford, with two wins, is on the brink of a playoff berth.

"Our last game is Thursday," McNicholas said, "and hopefully we'll come back and win."

Alumni, meanwhile, seeks to come away with a win against Dillon.

This game, a major rivalry, is half complete and will be finished Wednesday.