SMC poetry reading enlightens

A series of poetic readings by Saint Mary's professor Cornelius Eady kicked off "English Week" at SMC in Haggar Parlor Monday.

"At this point, I have no language, no tongue, no mouth. I am not me yet. I am just an understanding," read Eady, a professor of graduate studies in creative writing at Notre Dame.

Eady has authored six works of poetry including the critically acclaimed "Brutal Imagination," "Victims of the Latest Dance Craze" and "Autobiography of a Jukebox."

Audience members found Eady was engaging and theatrical throughout his readings, which included anecdotes from his life as an English major and stories of how he became a poet.

The introductions to his personal poetry were meant to either inspire or deter audience members from following in his footsteps as an English major, Eady said.

"English has provided an adventure for life," he said. "At some point you read something that knocks you out so much that the only response you could have was to pick up a pen and write."

The poetry reading was the first activity in a weeklong focus on English at the College. The Student Academic Council sponsored English Week as part of its campaign to promote academic development and recognize academic excellence in the SMC community.

Each year, every academic department has the opportunity to plan activities for a week to build awareness about its area of study and to provide ways for students to further explore the department.

The English department worked with English club members to plan an eventful week that will include a screening of "The Merchant of Venice" at 7 p.m. today in Vender Vannet Theatre in the basement of the Student Center.

On Wednesday, there will be a Bagel Breakfast in the English Corridor of Madeleva Hall from 7 to 9 a.m.

The week will culminate with the English Department's annual costume party Thursday at 7 p.m. at Stapleton Lounge. Students are encouraged to dress as a favorite literary character.