SMC SWIMMING: Belles set for MIAA meet

Excitement is riding high as the Saint Mary's swimming team hopes to start out the season with a strong performance in its first meet versus Hope College and Olivet College at Olivet today. New coach Lynn Kach-marik, also the Saint Mary's athletic director, will be leading the Belles this year, and she brings with her 30 years of coaching experience. Captain Katie Dingeman knows that with such a positive role model, the Belles will have nowhere to go but up. "She is passionate about Saint Mary's College and has worked very hard to build our athletics program since she has been here," she said. "We are lucky to have her as our coach this year." Dingeman herself, as well as co-captain Kelly Nelis, will also look to lead their fellow teammates by example. Both are the only seniors on the team, and will undoubtedly be expected to provide leadership and mentoring for the younger swimmers. Dingeman swims freestyle and Nelis swims butterfly and IM.The meet today should be an early test for the captains and their Belle teammates. Olivet has consistently been a top competitor and Saint Mary's looks to come out strong if it intends to prove it can contend for the MIAA championship this season.According to Dingeman, the Belles plan to start and finish this season as a team, even though many compete individually. "Every swimmer is a key swimmer," Dingeman said. "Our team is held together by a passion for swimming and constant support for one another."