WOMEN'S INTERHALL GOLD LEAGUE: Duran dominates as Farley stops BP

Farley beat Breen-Phillips 19-6 Tuesday night at Stepan Field in a hard-fought battle as two first-half touchdowns by the Finest sealed the win.

On the opening drive of the game, Farley quarterback and captain Katie Popik found junior wideout Diane Duran for the first Finest touchdown. After the Farley defense forced a punt, Popik came back to throw another touchdown pass to Duran.

Following an interception by a Breen-Phillips defensive back, it looked like the Babes might have a chance to make a late charge before halftime, but time expired before they could complete the drive. Farley missed both conversions and the score stood at 12-0 at the half.

Breen-Phillips opened with the ball in the second half and the ensuing drive was the only one where the Babes offense seemed to find success. After a long, penalty-sustained drive, the Breen-Phillips quarterback hit a Babe wide receiver for a touchdown. After a missed conversion the score was 12-6 still in favor of Farley.

Two drives later, however, the Finest came back strong as Popik threw her third touchdown pass of the game, this time to another junior receiver, Annie Parrett. The first successful conversion for either team followed and pushed the score to 19-6. Breen-Phillops did get two more opportunities to put points on the board but both drives ended with the Babes turning the ball over on downs.

The difference in the game seemed to lie with the play of the passing game for both teams. Farley's wide

outs dominated the BP defense, grabbing three touchdown passes and catching numerous balls, while the Babe offense was plagued by dropped balls and overthrown passes.

Popik raved about the play of her receiving corps.

"They dominated the game," she said.

With a 1-3 record and two more games to go, the Finest are thinking playoffs.

"Our defense has played great and our offense is finally starting to click," Popik said.

Breen-Phillips players were unavailable for comment.