Alleged assault reported

A Saint Mary's student reported she was sexually assaulted in a Notre Dame residence hall this past weekend, College officials said Wednesday.

The student is acquainted with her alleged assailant, according to a crime alert posted on the Saint Mary's home Web site Tuesday afternoon.

Director of marketing communications Nick Farmer declined to specify the day or time of the alleged assault or whether the alleged assailant was a Notre Dame student. He also declined to specify in what dorm the alleged assault occurred.

The alleged victim does not intend to file charges at this time, College spokeswoman Melanie McDonald said.

"She is seeking counseling, and certainly counseling is going to do as much for her as they can," McDonald said.

McDonald said she did not know whether the student remains on campus.

"Certainly we have to respect the desire for privacy, and she has expressed a desire for privacy," McDonald said.

Although he said he did not know when the student contacted College officials, Farmer said the larger College community was notified as soon as sufficient information was available.

"Any time a student reports anything to an authority on campus, that's when the College follows through and shares it with the College," Farmer said.

The College is required to disclose information about campus crimes by the Jeanne Clery Act, Farmer said.

The alleged incident does not appear on the Notre Dame Security/Police crime blotter on Oct. 29, Nov. 1 or Nov. 2.

The crime alert did not specify whether alcohol was a factor in the alleged assault. It did conclude by encouraging students to be vigilant about personal safety.

"Be aware of your surroundings," the alert said. "And, as always, if you are consuming any type of beverage, pay particular attention to your own drink and do not let it out of your sight at any time."