SMC Swimming: Belles lose meet with Engineers

Despite improved performances since its last meet, Saint Mary's lost to Rose-Hulman Saturday 113-85 as only seven swimmers showed up for the Belles.

The lack of divers guaranteed the Rose-Hulman an upper hand in the meet.

The small numbers allowed "others to have the opportunity to swim events that they normally wouldn't," captain Kelly Nelis said.

She herself proved once again to be a leader for the Belles winning in both the 1,000-free and the 400-free relay.

Junior Karla McGough also turned in top performances, winning the 500-free and joining Nelis in the 400-free relay victory.

"We had a lot of fun and are looking forward to our meets in January," McGough said.

Solid efforts by Nelis and McGough were not enough to give the Belles a victory. The Engineers walked away with six individual wins and one relay victory. Sophomore Anita Isch carried the Engineers, winning the 100- and 200-free. Isch was also a vital member of the winning 200-medley relay team.

Other key players for Rose-Hulman included seniors Christine Guidi and Meghan Gollhofer who claimed the 100-backstroke and the 50-free, respectively.

Despite the loss, the Belles took a lot from the meet in that they solidified their team chemistry going into this winter.

"This was a great meet for us, we really came together as a team and had a lot of fun," captain Katie Dingeman said.