Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Sticky situation causes ejections

Marshmallow-related ejections spiked at the seniors' last home football game Saturday, contributing to the 181 ejections from the stadium made by ushers, coordinator of stadium personnel Cappy Gagnon said Sunday.

Forty-three students were ejected for marshmallows, 46 students were ejected for alcohol-related offenses and 92 non-students with regular tickets were rejected for alcohol-related offenses, Gagnon said.

Gagnon said "about 15 or 20" of the 43 students ejected for marshmallows were never allowed in the stadium.

"The last game of the year seems to be ... well it's a drinking game, maybe a prank game," Gagnon said. "If we caught [students with marshmallows] at the gate they didn't get in and the marshmallows didn't get in. None of them were permitted in and we confiscated the booklet."

Gagnon said the halftime marshmallow flurry probably wasn't triggered by the recent drop in temperature - "It was cold, but not much colder than the week before," he said - but possibly by seniors mistakenly thinking there would be no repercussions.

"I think maybe there were some students because of something erroneously reported last year that if you're caught the last game, there is no punishment," Gagnon said. "Obviously you're not losing your ticket booklet, but you're still referred to [the Office of Residence Life and Housing]."

Some of the students who weren't permitted into the game "actually got in because Syracuse didn't use all of their tickets and there were some tickets floating around outside," Gagnon said.

"And if they were smart they just sat in those seats," he said. "But some did try to get into the student section."

Gagnon said the number of non-students ejected from the stadium - 92 - was not unusual given the game's 2:30 p.m. start time.