Hall Association meets its first semester goals

The Residence Hall Association (RHA), which oversees Saint Mary's residence halls and plans school-wide events, accomplished many of its goals first semester.

Members of the Association went on walks with SMC security director Dave Chapman to address spots on campus that felt unsafe or "needed more lighting," RHA president Jackie Wright said. They also wrote thank-you cards to groups on campus, such as the security director and hall directors.

Other events sponsored by RHA this year include a Breast Cancer Awareness cookie frosting in the Student Center, Sundays with College President Carol Mooney in each of the residence halls, staff trick-or-treating in the residence halls, Holy Cross Hall's Haunted Tunnels and other service projects.

The 12 Days of Christmas Campaign is currently working to cultivate Christmas and giving sprit throughout the College community through monetary donations, support and volunteering.

Currently, RHA is planning the SMC Formal, Little Sibs Weekend and a new project - a possible Dance Marathon sponsored by RHA and First-Year Board.

The RHA is made up of a president, vice president, eight hall council representatives, a representative from senior housing and two advisors. The president and vice president of the four residence halls are elected by the student body as well and sit on RHA as representatives of their respective halls.

Committee members include a secretary, treasurer, social director, National Communication Coordinat-or, two health awareness chairs, two service chairs, two SMC Formal chairs, two Little Sibs chairs, two Resident Advisor representatives and one RHA historian who documents RHA events throughout the year.