SMC security bumps up 24-hour parking

In order to alleviate overcrowded parking lots at the College, Saint Mary's security has decided to increase 24-hour parking for students on a trial basis by providing additional spots in the Regina Lot, adjacent to the Regina Residence Hall.

"This is only being done on a trial basis," said director of Security Dave Chapman. "It gives students 55 more parking spaces and was done to try and ease congested parking in other lots because we observed that the Regina Lot was not always full during the week."

Students are now allowed to park in the last three rows of the Regina lot 24-hours per day and do not need to move their vehicles during the typically restricted hours in other lots on campus.

"In the rest of the [Regina] lot, students must move their vehicles out between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday," Chapman said.

But there were some stipulations with the new policy. There are times during special events on campus in which all students must move their vehicles out of the Regina Lot.

Chapman said this was part of the agreement with the administration.

"If students do not comply, they will again have to move their cars out of the entire lot at the designated times," Chapman said.

This past week alone, there were several special events held on campus. Chapman said students were informed via e-mail and poster notices in the residence halls of such events and their repercussions on parking.

Police officers were instructed to ticket vehicles that did not comply with the special events policy of parking restrictions.

Chapman said only six tickets were written.

"I would like to commend and thank the students of Saint Mary's for complying with the instructions," Chapman said. "I believe that if they continue to cooperate, they will be allowed to park in the lot permanently."

The amount of ticketing, even with the new policy, is average in comparison with other years, Chapman said.

Students who have cars on campus enjoy having the option to park in Regina, especially with the harsh weather.

"I'm happy that [security] opened up the Regina Lot," said freshman Brooke Postregna. "It is closer than the main [Angela] lot and a lot more convenient now that it's getting a lot colder."