Bengal Bouts: Fight Club

The second night of the 2006 Bengal Bouts began with junior Tommy Ford and sophomore Phil Hicks squaring off in the ring and Ford winning by split decision.

Ford kept Hicks away in the first round by using his superior reach. This reach troubled Hicks throughout the match, who was forced to try to get inside quickly and work combinations. But Ford knocked Hicks down in the first and cut his nose in the second.

Hicks came out hungry in the second, landing multiple combinations against Ford. Hicks could not contain himself, as he speared Ford to the mat, leading to a warning.

Both fighters showed signs of fatigue by the third round. Hicks fought back with his combinations. But his third round performance was not enough to overcome Ford's dominance in the first two rounds.

Anthony Schweiss v. Greg Vallejos

The second fight of the night featured a strong match between junior Anthony Schweiss and freshman Greg Vallejos, which Schweiss won in a split decision.

Vallejos came out strong in the first round, forcing him against the ropes. Schweiss had to fight defensively for much of this round and had trouble connecting any of his punches.

Schweiss and Vallejos traded punches in the second round. Vallejos was cut early on.

Schweiss won in the third round, coming out strong and delivering constant blows on Vallejos. Vallejos could not stop the attack and could only defend but not retaliate.

Bryan Marek v. Daniel Florin

Junior Bryan Marek came out strong against freshman Daniel Florin, relentlessly attacking him on the way to a split decision victory.

Marek's attacks were vicious as he knocked Florin down in the first round. Marek forced Florin to stay on the move to avoid his constant aggression.

Marek continued to work the body in the second round, keeping Florin on defense while still throwing his untamed fists.

The third round was an entirely different story, with Florin finally taking the offensive against Marek. The turnaround was due mostly to Florin's ability to finally avoid Marek and deliver his own counterattack.

But Florin was too defensive in the first two rounds and could not overcome this deficit in the third, losing the split decision.

Jack Carroll v. Nathan Dyer

In the only knock out in the first set of matches, the referee stopped the fight in the second round to save freshman Jack Carroll from the beating he received from junior Nathan Dyer.

Carroll had the advantage in height and reach over Dyer, but he could not overcome Dyer's strength and speed. Dyer was dominant throughout the entire fight, raining blows on Carroll, which led to a knock down early in the first and a standing-eight count shortly thereafter. The fight was in danger of ending in the first, but the bell saved Carroll.

In the second, Dyer came out just as strong, continuing his onslaught of punches to the head and body of Carroll. Only thirty seconds into the second round, the referee stopped the fight.

Andrew Litschi v. Keita Miyamura

The third fight was a blowout for senior Andrew Litschi over junior Keita Miyamura by unanimous decision.

Litschi was quicker, stronger and taller than Miyamura, allowing him to move in quickly, deliver his attack and then move out. Miyamura was not able to adequately respond to the attack. This enabled Litschi to work the head and body for most of the first round.

In the second, Miyamura came out strong with wild punches to try and put Litschi on the defensive. This plan backfired for Miyamura, leaving him too tired to defend himself and unable to stop Litschi's counterattacks. Miyamura was given a standing eight count in the second and was pummeled even more in the third. Litschi's dominance led to a unanimous decision.

David Wierson v. Kyle Cyr

The sixth fight of the night was between the more contained sophomore Kyle Cyr and the aggressive junior David Wierson, who won in a unanimous decision.

Wierson was strong early in the fight but only connected a few times. But what Wierson lacked in proficiency he made up with in strength. Wierson landed haymakers and right hooks, while Cyr focused on his jabs.

This trend continued throughout the fight, as Cyr was the more consistent fighter and landed a higher percentage of punches.

Cyr's strategy of attrition did not work against Wierson's overpowering blows, leading to the junior's unanimous win.

Matt Pentz v. Michael Gibbons

Senior Michael Gibbons began his fight against freshman Matt Pentz with a relentless attack that would lead to his victory in unanimous decision.

Gibbons was quick, relentless and vicious in his attack and kept Pentz on the run for much of the fight. Gibbons unyielding assault led to him literally chasing Pentz around the ring. Unfortunately for Pentz, Gibbons had the edge on speed and caught him more often then not and continued working the head and body.

Pentz, who never stood a chance against Gibbons' attacks, lost the fight on all three cards.

Mike Young v. Jeffrey Hausfeld

In a close match between senior Mike Young and sophomore Jeffrey Hausfeld, Hausfeld pulled out the win in a unanimous decision.

The two traded punches for much of the fight but Hausfeld seemed to find the edge. The sophomore effectively worked the head, although he was never able to land many good combinations.

But Hausfeld was able to get in a few quick jabs consistently in all three rounds, keeping himself one step ahead of Young throughout the fight - leading to the win.

Parfait Mwez v. Mark Hinkins

The ninth match of the night was a very evenly fought contest between junior Parfait Mwez and freshmen Mark Hinken.

Hinken and Mwez fought equally well in the first two rounds, with Hinken having a slight edge in the two rounds. Hinken was able to land quick jabs against the junior, giving himself a very slim lead against Mwez going into the final round.

Mwez battled back in the third, butting Hinken on the defensive and turning the tide of the fight. But this comeback did not change the result, leading to Hinken's win in a split decision.

Sean Pearl v. Daniel Liem

Senior Daniel Liem was able to work the body and get inside on fellow senior Sean Pearl to win a unanimous decision.

Liem used his speed to avoid Pearl's longer reach and work his body. Although the first two fights were fought with a very defensive mindset, Liem came out very strong in the third to cement his win.

Liem put any doubts to rest by raining blows on Pearl's torso throughout the third round. Liem's consistency in the first two rounds and his outright domination in the third led to his victory by unanimous decision.

Sean Wieland v. Navapol Tiawphaibul

The small and feisty sophomore Sean Wieland was able to beat the much larger Thai fighter - senior Navapol Tiawphaibul - in a split decision.

Tiawphaibul came out ready to fight, swinging big but also leaving himself vulnerable. Wieland was able to successfully counterattack throughout the round. Wieland avoided Tiawphaibul's attempts and delivered quick combinations to hurt the bigger fighter.

The second round came out a bit more equally, as Tiawphaibul connected with some of his big punches, but was pummeled in the third. The fight was won in the third round, as Wieland worked Tiawphaibul's body enough to earn the win.

Hunter Land v. Alex Duffy

The twelfth fight of the evening featured a hard-fought bout between sophomore Hunter Land and freshman Alex Duffy. Duffy won the close match in a split decision.

Land had good protection from his size, as he was able to keep his distance from the smaller Duffy in the first round. Duffy prevented Land from capitalizing on his height advantage with a strong defense and quick counterattacks.

Duffy showed a great combination of speed and strength by moving inside Land's reach to deliver strong punches. He did a good job leaving quickly enough to avoid a counterattack.

Land was able to knock down his opponent in the third when Duffy lost his balance. But the knock down was not enough to change the result, as Duffy picked up two of the cards.