Keough rector to take on new role

After five years as rector of Keough Hall, Father Peter Jarret will now prepare to lead a very different group of men.

In July, Jarret will take over for Father Bill Seetch as superior of the Holy Cross community at Notre Dame, responsible for the Order's nearly 80 religious at the University. His duties will center on Corby Hall, where he will oversee morning and evening prayer and Mass - in short, Jarret said Tuesday, "maintaining the regular rhythm of the religious house."

In this new role, the University announced Tuesday, Jarret will also become a Trustee and Fellow of the University representing the Order of the Holy Cross. Jarret said he became familiar with several members of the Board of Trustees while he was serving as counselor to University President Emeritus Father Edward Malloy from 2003-05.

"[The Board of Trustees] is a wonderful group of people ... I'm excited about [working with them]," Jarret said.

Jarret's appointment was officially announced to the Holy Cross community on Feb. 12 and to the residents of Keough at Mass Sunday night. Jarret said Father David Tyson, provincial superior of the Indiana Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross, approached him about the job last fall.

Jarret said while he is excited about the new opportunities with Holy Cross, he will miss being rector of a men's dorm.

"[Leaving] is a tad bittersweet ... I love Keough Hall," he said.

Jarret said Keough residents were "doing fine" after the announcement, but said a "mixture" of emotions - both for him and the students - inevitably comes with the change.

Junior John Lindenmeyer, Keough Hall president, expressed the dorm's thanks for Jarret's time with the hall and the residents' regret at seeing him go.

"I am happy that the order of Holy Cross has seen the great potential in Father Pete and is willing to give him such a wonderful opportunity," Lindenmeyer said. "However, Father Pete has been an extraordinary rector during my years in Keough. He has acted as leader, priest, brother and most sincerely of all, friend.

"For that, I think I can speak for the dorm in saying that he will be truly missed."

Jarret is, however, looking forward to a bit less stress on the job with the Holy Cross priests.

"I'll go to bed earlier [in Corby]," he joked. "[Moving from Keough] will be a little bit of an adjustment, but not bad."

Neither Seetch nor Tyson could be reached for comment Tuesday.

Jarret received his bachelor's degree from Notre Dame in 1986 and his master of divinity degree from Notre Dame in 1991, and was ordained a priest in 1992. From 1991-95 he was deacon and associate pastor at Christ the King Parish in South Bend. He was pastor of St. Pius X Parish in Granger, Ind. from 1995 until his return to the University in 2001.

Jarret currently teaches one course a year in Notre Dame's master of divinity program, which he plans to continue doing next year.

Jarret said he believes the Office of Student Affairs will soon begin the search for a new Keough rector.

Maddie Hanna contributed to this report.