Leito gives 'wish list'

After months of meetings and brainstorming within the Campus Life Council's task force on campus grounds and structures, task force chair James Leito delivered a five-pronged report Monday seeking improvements and additions to the University's athletic facilities.

The report calls for additional tennis court facilities for recreational use, a new baseball/softball field adjacent to Riehle Fields and new lights for the Riehle and West Quad fields. The report also calls for bathrooms, trash cans and drinking fountains on various athletic fields on campus and a more timely sprinkler schedule that does not spray students as they walk to class.

"RecSports supported everything we talked about," Leito said. "The hardest thing is lighting because it's the most expensive, but it can really improve [interhall] teams' ability to use the practice fields, especially on West Quad where there are no lights at all."

Student body president Dave Baron clarified the report as a "wish-list." It does not carry a timetable with it, but, ideally, it will be looked atwhenever University officials discuss construction and campus improvement in the future, Baron said.

The Council unanimously approved a resolution endorsing Leito's report - which was created in conjunction with the Student Senate's committee on residence life. CLC will send the resolution and Leito's report to vice president of student affairs Father Mark Poorman, who can then forward it to appropriate administrators for future campus construction decisions.

"This is great work," Dillon Hall rector Father Paul Doyle said. "I support it 100 percent."

In other CLC news:

u In response to recent campus debate concerning academic freedom and the University's Catholic character, Baron asked the Council to create a task force charged with evaluating how Jenkins' remarks will affect programming for student activities.

Baron said the newly-created task force on programming standards will address how controversial events sponsored by student activities might be affected by Jenkins' comments. The task force will provide recommendations on how such events should be handled in light of these comments.

CLC will discuss the academic freedom issue more thoroughly at their next meeting, Baron said.